For those of you looking for an easy, grab-and-go brunch dessert, this recipe may be your next favorite. These pear streusel muffins, which yield the same great taste and texture of a coffee cake, are simple to make and the results are well worth the minimal time and effort they require.
This unique take on your average coffee cake is sure to please family, friends, and neighbors of all ages. Our guests at the Historic Smithton Inn love it!
For The Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ripe pears, unpeeled, cored, and chopped (1 ½ cups)
For The Streusel Topping
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
1. In medium bowl, combine flour with baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
2. In separate bowl, beat egg and mix in milk and melted butter.
3. Pour wet ingredient mixture into dry mixture, add pears. Mix well.
4. Divide mixture evenly between muffin cups.
1. In another separate bowl, mix sugar, flour, cold butter, and cinnamon.
2. Using your fingers, pinch and stir ingredients together until well combined.
3. Sprinkle over batter in muffin cups.
Bake muffins for approximately 14 minutes, until golden and dry on top and toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pan before serving.
These pear streusel muffins make a perfect addition to any spring picnic or brunch. If you're looking for the taste of a coffee cake in convenient portions, you'll be delighted with this recipe. Enjoy!
Image courtesy of Serge Bertasius Photography at FreeDigitalPhotos.net